1. Health

Which Health Plan Is Better for You? McCain's or Obama's

By October 6, 2008

The presidential candidates have very different views on health care reform for the U.S. and implementation of either plan could have a significant impact on how health care is delivered in the country.

In an ongoing series of polls related to healthcare, Debating Health: Election 2008, conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health and Harris Interactive®, 33% of voters think they would receive better health care under Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) proposal compared to 27% who favor Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) plan.

However, four in ten of those polled don't believe that one candidate's health care plan would be better for them than the other. What do you think?

What do you think? Leave a comment below or in the Medication Forum

..............................................
Photo © zentilia/istockphoto.com

Comments
October 6, 2008 at 11:31 am
(1) Elaine Lemm says:

It’s no that I don’t care…it’s just that it doesn’t affect me. Of course I care how it affects everyone else and I hope that whoever gets in that health care is a priority. I am always shocked when I hear about how it works in the US. We grumble here in the UK about our national health service but really, it isn’t that bad and even though personally I can afford private health care I don’t. The NHS has always stood by me and my family. Sure you may have a bit of a wait if it’s an ingrown toe nail but when service is needed (like when my teenage niece had cancer) they are the best. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get the best there as well.

October 6, 2008 at 11:48 am
(2) Catherine says:

McCain’s plan to offer a $5000 tax credit to help purchase health insurance seems totally inadequate, from what I understand of it. Most health plans cost MUCH more than that; the credit would be taxable; and many families don’t even have enough income/pay enough taxes to make the credit worth anything to them.

October 6, 2008 at 11:55 am
(3) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

McCains plan helps insurance company’s and does nothing for American ppl.It basically gives a 5k credit while taking away a 12k benefit. It certainly doesn’t help me as, I have not been able to afford ins for over a year, I can’t use the credit.
I don’t hold out a lot of hope for the Obama Plan. Jusst have to wait and see if it as something to offer me or if I fall through the cracks as usual. I believe we have to self govern. I have to be responsible for my health in a proactive way with diet, excersize and over all good habits.

October 6, 2008 at 12:49 pm
(4) JacerG says:

This, to me, is a no-brainer!

I am beyond fed up with seeing our great country go down the drain during the past 8 years. The national polls over the last 9 days suggest people are taking a long-hard look at the McPain/Palin camp and saying “thanks, but no thanks!”

October 6, 2008 at 12:57 pm
(5) SusanAdcox says:

I certainly believe in leading a healthy lifestyle, but we can all cite friends who were health nuts but still fell victim to dread diseases. Everyone needs health insurance. We have traveled in the UK and Canada and have had occasion to use their health care systems and were totally impressed. Obama’s plan is a complete reworking of our health care system, which is what is needed. Our health care system is broken. McCain’s is more of the same-old same-old.
Another provision of the Obama plan is the utilization of electronic medical records. I can’t even imagine how much money could be saved if everyone’s medical records with test results were readily available to any medical practitioner. No more repeating of tests when you go to a different doctor, no more lost information. Having a complete medical record at your doctor’s fingertips would have to result in better treatment.
McCain’s plan calls for the value of health insurance plans offered by employers to no longer be excluded from workers’ taxable income. Does that mean what I think it does? If so, why hasn’t there been an outpouring of protest?

October 6, 2008 at 2:26 pm
(6) Fed Up With Them All says:

Where’s the choice for “neither”?

October 7, 2008 at 7:12 am
(7) Deb says:

I’m looking forward to a new system with Obama too.

October 10, 2008 at 11:26 pm
(8) BoSoxFan says:

Nice job being objective, Dr. Mike. But let’s face it, anyone who knows anything about these plans is thinking, “No thanks, McCain.” Who wants a $5,000 tax credit when health insurance for a family costs $12,000? Math is not my strength and I’m not a cpa, but I think that works out to a $7,000 liability. Ouch. And McCain would eliminate some regulations on health insurers. I don’t think that’s what patients need. Seems like we deserve a few more protections in the marketplace, particularly for anyone with a pre-existing condition. I’m just saying.

October 16, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(9) AngryCenter says:

McCain saying Palin knows about what special needs kids need is a sick, sick, sick joke. See my link.

If ALL you care about is what is better for YOU, then maybe McCain’s plan will be better. If you think you or a loved one might ever need assistance, McCain’s plan leaves you on your own.

The whole “spread the wealth”-bashing of Obama is just mean-spirited. We live in the UNITED States of America. One for All, All for One, not every man for himself.